Thursday, March 12, 2009

Total transformation! “My First Acting Series” helps students read with expression, understanding and fluency.

Kamaron’s dramatic expressions exploded on his face and in his voice. I couldn’t believe this quiet young boy, so polite and soft-spoken, was the same student creating the lively character of Joel from “My Second Monologue Book: Famous and Historical People”.

But it happened again and AGAIN during my visit to The Lighthouse Academy!



Malik was next and as he introduced himself, I could hardly hear his voice. But when he began to read the part of Mack in the “My First Monologue Book”, he used gestures and voice inflection to turn the monologue into high comedy! “I like comedy,” he said with a smile when he finished.






Karra was the last to read. She, too, had a shy smile as she was introduced as one of the top readers in the classroom. Her face and voice grew lively as she read the monologue of Pete in “My Third Monologue Book: Places Near and Far.” I told her, “Facial expression is an acting skill!” Karra told me that she wanted to read the monologue again. “This time, it will be better!”





“My students have been practicing a lot over the weekend,”said Ms. Wickham. “Soon they’ll have them memorized and present them to the class. After that, everyone will be clamoring to perform! I’ll definitely need more books.”

My visit to this classroom, like all the other classrooms I’ve seen, was filled with students who were excited about using the "My First Acting Series”. They transformed into enthusiastic learners, developing a wide variety of dramatic, reading, and social skills. The teachers I’ve observed have used the books and the Teacher’s Guide in imaginative ways. Teachers and students alike share an overwhelming enthusiasm for incorporating drama into their learning. Theater made the lesson come to life. The “My First Acting Series” is where life meets theater.

No comments: